Monday, October 24, 2011

Be careful where and how you study

  One of my favorite ways of studying is to make up some flashcards, leave the headphones at home and take long walks along wilderness trails. The fresh air and semi-quite surroundings seem to help me concentrate. Although, sometimes these trails will wander through a neighborhood park.


  While I review the material, I have a habit of assessing myself as I go along. Last week with the cardiac section, I would walk along pointing to my chest and say things like, here S1 mitral and tricuspid valves closing, “lub”. On the other hand, when it was the lymph nodes of the head, neck and upper torso, I walked around massaging my face where they were located and which way they flowed.

  However, today while enjoying the weather and walking around it was no different, except that this week it is the chest, breast and lungs. Part of our skills assessment is to do the exams and educate the patient on how to do a monthly breast exam at home.

  Fair enough, but I just need to remind myself that while walking alone through the park, with all the nannies and stay-at-home moms watching their kids run around. It is not cool for a man to be talking to himself while demonstrating a breast exam.  

4 comments:

A Doc 2 Be said...

OMG!! Very, very funny :)

You could sing out loud, "She thinks my exams are sexy, it really turns her on" while practicing :P (Courtesy of Kenny Chesney - She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy)

MamaDoodle said...

Ha! I watch my lectures on my iPad, often at Starbucks or another coffee shop. Realized I might get arrested if I watched this week's lectures in public. The topic? Reproductive health and how to perform breast, pelvic, and rectal exams.

I've also been known to massage my head and neck and point to A, P, T, and M.

Doctor Blondie said...

LOL.
Exams in medical school were pretty interesting to watch. You could sometimes tell how far people were by the body parts they were touching.

Zazzy Episodes said...

Hahahahahahahaha this is soo FUNNY! I can totally relate! You crack me up. I never thought to try that while taking a walk. Interesting...