Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Cultural Desert



The Mayo Clinic has one big problem. . . .  it is located in Rochester, MN.  
 
Rochester works for the patients who come from across the country and around the world for treatment, because afterwards they get to go home. 


Yes, my honeymoon period is over, and I miss many parts of living in a large metropolitan area. The many neighborhoods, cultural events, museums, grocery stores, restaurants, shows and people that you will never experience in a small homogenized city. 



4 comments:

*Anna* said...

Transfer to one of the Az campuses:)

A Doc 2 Be said...

Minni is only an hour away for theater; St Paul is only an hour for opera; uptown is only an hour away...

you get my (snow) drift :D

Candi said...

I feel ya! Coming from a fairly large city to an extremely (well to me anyway) small town I know the pain you're feeling. Of course I didn't live anywhere as fab as SF but I know what you mean. Right now I live about an hour away from any "big" cities, and like A Doc 2 Be pointed out, they're only an hour away, but still. Who wants to have to drive an hour each way when you only want to go out for a nice "grown up" dinner to someplace besides Applebees or Ruby Tuesday (sigh). Of course I don't mind driving that when I want to go to the theater, but like you said, there's so much more going on in a large city, culturally, that you just can't get from a smaller city/town. I say get your experience & get the heck out of there!! You're getting a GREAT experience & after this you'll be able to write your own ticket, so stick it out, get out of it what you need & move on! But while you're there, try to enjoy it. Do some traveling around on your days off, this is just a small part of your life's story. Congrats btw!!

Frazzled-Razzle-RN said...

Aww you probably don't miss the hour long+ of traffic driving. So an hour to the cities ain't so bad. Plus with all the BIG bucks you're making at Mayo, you can hop on a plane anywhere for a quick getaway :-D Hang in there, you may get used to small town life and enjoy the slower pace.