Thursday, July 28, 2011

Don't try this at Home

This past Sunday night a wife called 911 worried about her husband who decided to do a little surgery, on himself.

It appears a 63-year-old man was tired of having his hernia protruding from his abdomen, so with a butter knife in hand he went outside and lay in his lawn chair and started to operate on himself. That is when his wife called 911. Police arrived to find the man with a butter knife sticking from his gut. As they watched, he pulled the knife out and put a lit cigarette in the wound.

As I heard this story on the radio like many I thought drugs or alcohol would be involved, but he was sober. Although, no surprise that they put him under a 5150, which is California’s 72 hour psychiatric hold and observe law. In the end, he was admitted to the hospital and will be having his hernia fixed.

Personally, I will clean and dress big nasty wounds and do most things for patients without a second thought, but for some reason trach care and hernias make me uneasy.

7 comments:

Solitary Diner (Also Known as The Frugalish Physician) said...

You really have to wonder about the thought process that would lead someone to think "I can remove part of my body in the back yard using a kitchen implement." Just when I start having faith in humankind again...

How appropriate. The captcha for this post is "pokersac". Hee hee hee.

Cartoon Characters said...

Anything to do with mucus from the respiratory system makes me gag. Don't know why.

Anything else, doesn't bother me in the least.

Estelle said...

Trach care. [*gag*] Mucus and the sound it makes when you suction. Ugh. Even the word *suction* makes me a little nauseous.
All I can say is God bless respiratory therapy.

MamaDoodle said...

For me it's bones that aren't where they're supposed to be. Not great for a school nurse who frequently saw arms bent in an "S" shape.

NPO said...

SolitaryDiner, not any kitchen implement but a butter knife. Humanity, I read so many crazy things that people do around the world in the name of care.

CC and ED, yeah for RT, and I agree with you two that suctioning and respiratory stuff makes me gag.

MamaDoodle, luckily broken bones are usually pinned and set before I take care of the patient. However, whenever I see someone on TV like a football player getting his leg broken, I feel it.

TM said...

Not sure why, but the actual hole of a trach kind of scares me more than the secretions that come out of there. I have no idea why.

k!nkyNurse said...

That is scary. Trying to "remove" a hernia with a butter knife? What the heck was that man thinking? If he was drinking or taking drugs, it would be easy to chalk it up to being drugged or drunk.

Trach's don't really bother me. I don't get squicked out by changing trachs, suctioning, or by trach care. They don't make me nervous in the slightest. But then, I've been working with them for quite a few years. What used to really squick me out was years ago when I worked in LTC, was cleaning up after the podiatrist made his rounds. Ick, anything with toenails just makes me want to turn the other way and run LOL.